Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

We are the ones we've been waiting for

Every time I check out a news site or turn on the radio news, I have the strangest feeling, a mix of dread and hope: has it happened?

But what is "it"? What am I waiting for?

When I push myself to answer this question, all I can come up with is: Some kind of catalytic event that will propel the world forward into change. It might be a catastrophic event (hence my fear) or it might be a world-changing positive event, such as the rise of a powerful enough social movement to ignite social change (hence my hope).

I have had, for a long time now, this constant sense of impending change, and at this point I have to say I am actively desiring it, even with the knowledge that it may come in the form of a catastrophe I won't survive.

What now seems like the worst sort of torment is the slow, draining, creeping sludge of relentless bad news. The particulars change but the overall message remains the same: our leaders are corrupt, greedy, selfish and hopelessly short-sighted; militarism drives economics and politics, and hence social policy; the environment of our planet is under severe chemical and material assault, and the process of environmental destruction may now be irreversible; and through it all the people with the most power to demand, create and effect change are asleep on the job.

We're not all asleep. But not enough of us are awake. It is the critical job of those of us who see the impending disaster to sound the alarm and try to wake up our sisters and brothers while there's still some time to try to avert the final catastrophe.

The words of that possibly apocryphal saying of the Hopi elders keep sounding in my ears:

It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader.
....
Banish the word struggle from your attitude and vocabulary.
All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.

This says to me that I should stop waiting for "the news" to tell me what's happening. I know what's happening, deep in my gut. The catastrophe is happening, in slow motion, constantly. And the social movement is rising, also, constantly, in slow motion.

There may not be one dramatic moment in time when Change overtakes us--no storming of the Bastille or assassination of Czar. But the period of change we're in is just as intense and momentous as in those epochs.

My task is to remain awake and alert to opportunities to create positive change, in however small the increments; and to be a source of inspiration and encouragement to the emerging changemakers around me, just as I draw my inspiration from those who are further along the road than I am.

Together we can become the social movement we've been waiting for--and we must. The alternative is too awful to contemplate.

Comments:
I can't believe it! I know that feeling.

Hey, and my email never seems to make it through to you email. You stopped by my blog some time ago and asked if I was interested in making some contributions somewhere and I was but everytime I responded the emails bounced back.

So today I decided to do a search and look where I found you?

(sorry for the any other business. But I do so identify with that feeling.)
 
throw a ramshackle pass was intercepted by Eric WeiDeEr Open question:throw a ramshackle pass was intercepted by Eric WeiDeEr about Lifestyle, nfl jersey, essee, ravens, post your answers to question: throw a ramshackle pass was intercepted by Eric WeiDeEr and help author: newnfl001! Thanks to all users to create this pageHere are some questions I would ask them It can therefore be suggested that new ways need to be found that facilitate environmental education through out-of-school learning and green school designs Not the Only A personThis is not the first time that an NFL player is on the docket for a misdemeanorQuarterback Rodgers was in no mood to reflect on his great quantities, but was rather centered on reliving the decisive last play:I used to be trying to unload it Wherever you decide to buy ones child's ice hockey apparatus through keep in mind you are serving to remain them all secure while many people take part in the sport these phones enjoy Also, all the online coaching army at tutorbene come with a money back contract
He still believe that without the team success, the standings are just damp squibs Everyone don actually must shell out enough profit for this br> After a long wait, Seattle fans in expected to see the stars at wide receiver this weekend, Sidney - Rice on behalf of the Seahawks in the first race appearance Tip#1: When any baseball team played as a Home Underdog during the 2010 season in the month of April and they are playing in the 2nd game of a series and they are coming off a loss in that first game of the series; The Home Underdog was 2-12 SU in this situation last year A former football player, who died of a heart attack at age 50, had exhibited symptoms of depression, memory loss, and Parkinson disease according to statements made by family members We are all a slave to the system and the best we all can do for the players who put in their blood and spirit into the game is by supporting all of their efforts But what makes Backcountry so good?Timberland aswell accept shoes that can be beat on academic occasions
In addition, he plays for Indianapolis Colts as a quarterback Alexis Stella from rogaland, norwayThe Bengals will need a big day from its play makers including Andy Dalton, A You may have to review a lesson several times before you fully grasp the concept Well, this was a problem because the game was on Sunday of course, if I'm spending $100 for a jersey, I certainly wanted to don it while I was watching the game (what good does it do me to have it if I have to wait until next season to don it?) These graduates often make a quick and ill informed decision and then regret for the lost time and money It's great to be voted in as a starter, that means a lot to me and it's a special honor

[url=http://www.redskinsnflprostore.com/perry-riley-jersey-elite-c-6_39.html]Perry Riley Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.redskinsnflprostore.com/ryan-kerrigan-jersey-elite-c-6_25.html]ryan kerrigan redskins jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/arian-foster-jersey-cheap]Arian Foster Texans Jersey[/url]

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

technorati tags: , , ,

<%radio.macros.staticSiteStatsImage ()%>